Well, it's the Necromunda release weekend, but mine hasn't arrived yet. :(
Still, not one to miss out on the fun, and having had a trial run of indoor airbrushing at a friends place yesterday, I decided to get some work done. I set up my own little ghetto spraypainting booth and set to.
Hence the saltiness:
This was shortly after a (late) lunch and I finished a bit after dinner, here are the results, as things are drying:
Lessons learned today:
-Vallejo Game Air Red Primer is a vicious nozzle-clogger...
-I need to find a darker, deeper yellow with good airbrush coverage. The one I used is a bit too pale to my tastes.
-Masking over salt is no fun... And I need tape what sticks a bit better, for this particular situation.
-I tried to cram too much work into one day, causing me to rush things, lose focus, not enjoy myself and make errors. (The worst of which was spilling half a pot of airbrush cleaner. That really put a damper on my mood, as it wasn't my own, and kind of ruined the vibe of the work for me.)
Next time I should divide the work over an entire weekend.
-My airbrush area needs to be re-thought and rearranged, at this moment it is too cramped and uncomfortable to get into a work flow. Either the workbench is too high, or my chair too low. I need more table space to lay things out as well. Part of the cause for the spillage was that everything was crammed together and I was constantly moving things around to be able to work.
-I should have varnished after painting the base rust effects, here and there the salt didn't just take away the last layers of paint, but stripped right back to the bare surface. Touch-ups are needed.
-Airbrushing is actually rather quick (and fun, as long as I don't let myself get rushed and/or foolish).
I'll have a look at the scenery piece again in a few days, see what I think of it one the fatigue and frustration of a monster airbrushing session (by my novice standards, as it's all a new proces, everything seems to take more thought, concentration and effort) have had time to fade away.
Then smack on some varnish to prevent the hairspray from lifting off as I continue painting this monster.
See you next time!