donderdag 19 juli 2012


As in, I made a ruin....

The main structure is resin, I added the base and the loose rubble and pieces of wall on the floor (the original resin item just had the two standing walls, without any debris at all... Very unnatural looking):

dinsdag 17 juli 2012

Mob is done

Well, the Ork mob, I showed the first batch of two posts ago, is finished. That's 26 more bodies for my Waaagh!
Here they are:
Again, apologies for the cellphone cam, camera still needs fixing/replacing. But it's just not high on the priorities list. Mortgage and food first, and all that.
All in all, I'm satisfied. Tried some (wash-related) trickery to speed up the painting a bit. It seems I have found a satisfactory balance between speed and quality.

vrijdag 13 juli 2012

ZAP! Fzzzt...

I almost had a DIY electrostatick flocker today...
A while ago I found some instructions to make a static grass applicator from an electric flyswatter and a small sieve. So today, I set to work making one. The instructions were clear and easy and I had it together in no time. :-D To be on the safe side, I built the low-powered version, because it meant less (no) messing around with the circuit board, plus it meant not overriding a safety feature.

On to testing!
I prepped a piece of plasticard with wood glue, stuck the ground pin into the glue, and fired her up. The LED in the handle lighted up cheerfully, grass went through the sieve, contacted the glue below it.... And stood up nicely!
However, when finished, I accidentally touched the ground clip with the sieve. That made a pretty, blue, ZAP!
I thought nothing of it, assuming electric bug zappers were supposed to go ZAP. I mean,  the instructions for the DIY static grass build even noted that you needed to discharge the thing in this way, if you built the high-powered version. So it should be harmless, right?
On the next base: Glue applied, ground stuck in, LED glowed happily... But gone was the standy-uppy-magic!?
Ripped it open again, checked all the connections I made, all was well.
Re-assembled it, tried again. LED works fine, but no magic...again.
So, as it didn't work properly anyway, I decided to convert it over to the high-powered version after all and see if that would change anything.
And it did!
Now the LED wouldn't light up anymore as well.... :-C
So here I am, with a nice, shiny, new, static-grass-applicator-shaped inert object. 

Still can't figure out why it failed on me.
I don't think I did something wrong building it, it wasn't that difficult, and the instructions were clear.
Best guess is that either the ZAP shorted out something important after all, but all the components seemed intact.
I could just have had a faulty bugzapper, I didn't test it before the conversion to static grass applicator (I didn't like the idea of having atomised bug-gore in my basing).
So right now, I'm debating with myself: Do I assume faulty goods and get another bug zapper? It's only a few bucks after all. Or do I chalk this one up to experience and leave well enough alone?

Luckily, my 6th Ed 40K rulebook arrived yesterday, so I won't have to get bored while deciding the issue. :-D
I'm off to the couch for a nice read....


woensdag 11 juli 2012

Proof of life

It is true, I still exist...
It's just that over the last month real life hit, and it hit hard.

At the moment, in the light of 6th edition, I'm doing a bit of work expanding my Ork army for Warhammer 40k. (and hoping, unlike 5th,  I get more than 2 games played in this edition...)
Quite some time ago, a friend gave me a WIP scratchbuilt buggy for my Ork army. Last week I finally got around to finishing and getting it ready for paint:

All I had to do to finish it was build the front wheel suspension, add the crew, the left-side exhaust and fuel barrel. Oh, and add some Orky glyphs.
The twin linked Rokkit launcher is magnetised and can be swapped for the twin linked Big Shoota I originally got with the scratchbuild.

I also started paint on an extra unit of Ork slugga boys:
This is just the first batch (of 3), the second set of 9 boys is on the painting table at the moment. When those are finished, it's just 6 boys and a Nob left to do.
With this mob, I'm trying to get some more speed in my painting, aiming for a good look as a unit, instead of paying a lot of time and attention to individual models. So far, it seems to work reasonably well. I'm not suddenly super fast, bit at least I'm not (as) glacially slow anymore. And at the same time, I'm satisfied with the quality and look of them.