vrijdag 16 juni 2017

Gleeee!!!

I had a day off today, and it was well that I did, because halfway through the morning, the postie delivered this:

So I finished the gardening I was doing (well, "gardening", more weeds-exterminatus, really), made  myself a cuppa and had a sit down with my new toys. :D

What a beast:




Yes, that's near to 3 kilos of Grimdark Goodness!! (I guess if I put the dice and the objectives on there as well, I'd hit the 3 kilo mark perfectly...)

Speaking of the objectives, GW has really made a leap with plastic-tech in those. We already know about the 2 stage molding of the transparent section, but I discovered another surprise:

Yup, that antenna is hollow, courtesy of a sliding mold section! Previously I've only seen this on Gundam kits and high end scale model kits. Way to go GW, I'm impressed! I hope they'll use this tech more often.
I may see myself getting more of this kit, as the bits are just wonderful for detailing Space Hulk/Necromunda/Shadow Wars terrain.

So, having ogled the sprues (the models in the box are impressive, quite unusual part separation on most of them, giving them marvelous detail. Oddly enough, while my attention has been mainly on the Primaris Marines up until now (as they would need integrating into my Howling Griffons), I'm most excited about the Death Guard minis at this moment. They just look so good, despite being a bit busy, and my reservation about molded in "special effects" like smoke and spell effects. They look like a lot of fun to paint.
If I'd have to describe the new 40K box set in one word, it would be "Luxurious".  This time round they have really thought about presentation and the experience of unboxing it, and it really pays off. Spot on, in my opinion. It really reads and feels as a high end product.

So having ogled the miniatures and components (I really like the dice and the ruler by the way), I put it all back in the box and sat down with the new rulebook. A quick thumb through showed that the background is in the front, with the rules starting at page 170. A good call in my opinion.
So the afternoon I had a bit of a read, had a nap (Hey, it's my day off, don't judge me! Plus, I had been sleeping poorly the past week), read some more. Once my son is in bed, I'll read even more. I think I'll enjoy myself this weekend. :D

Truth be told, I haven't been this excited by a new 40K release in ages. Maybe even since 2nd edition...

See you next time!

6 opmerkingen:

  1. Sounds like you had one of the best day's off ever 😁.
    I look forward to your futher review on the 8th edition.
    I'm not going to buy the box, but might acquire the rulebook at some point.

    Have fun!

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
    Reacties
    1. I'm just getting into the rules section of the book today... It looks good to far. It's still 40k at core, but they've seemed to have trimmed the fat in the right places and added grit where previous editions fell a bit flat. I'm not certain about all the changes yet and a bit overwhelmed by the amount of optional rules and playstyles. But I acknowledge that may be because I'm a set in my ways, grumpy old grognard... I'll have to see how it all meshes on the table first. :)

      Verwijderen
  2. To busy reading the other Dark Imperium, though be a few weeks before I can buy up new 40k. Really interesting review on the sprues too. Shall await further hobby thoughts from your good self :D

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  3. Actually the first time GW used the sliding mold section was for the sponson guns on the baneblade. They have used it a bit, but the terrain kit seems like the smallest application of the slide mold and double pour system (having the grey an clear plastics poured into the same mold). I love that terrain kit and am now into my fourth kit for building stuff for my space hulk games and now for the new necromunda games.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen