zondag 24 september 2017

Hive, Sweet Hive, part 5: Rust to rust.

Took a while, but I got to sit down with terrain and airbrush this weekend.
The original plan was to do the rust effects base layer Saturday so I could salt-weather the metal areas today. Unfortunately I spent most of Saturday fighting with mixing ratios and nozzle clogging (I'm fairly new to this whole airbrush thing...) and I couldn't get a mixture with a satisfying coverage without clogging constantly. So I packed things up instead.
This morning Sjors came over to lend me his Vallejo Air set, and things got off flying! It meant I didn't have to fight the mixing ratio and paint and could focus on getting used to the airbrush and getting things done instead! So today I finished the rust effects on the first terrain piece and the loose barriers and walkway. Next weekend I'll try the salt weathering and hopefully also get a start on painting the other parts of the terrain piece. Or I will keep the airbrush running and start the rust stage on the second piece as well. We'll see.

Here are the results  of today's efforts, after the airbrushing stage:
Nicely mottled, but a bit low in contrast and "pop". So I sponged on some extra orange "spot rust":

That's the ticket! Next time I work on this piece, a lot of the rust will likely be covered up again. But no matter, that's the point of the technique. Plus, as I'm not yet familiar with the technique so covering up more than I need with the rust effects at this point prevents me from accidentally uncovering bare primer during the salt weathering...

As I expect to be using a lot of wash on the Necromunda Terrain project, Sjors and I also spent some time mixing Nuln Oil and Agrax Earth surrogates, Luke's APS style.  I now have a small(-ish) jar of each, enough to thoroughly test it, and finish/drench a terrain piece or two. All in all, a good hobby-weekend!

See you next time!

1 opmerking: