zaterdag 18 augustus 2018

Long time, no see!

Wow, it's been a while, hasn't it?
I guess that's the summer for you...

I haven't been completely idle on the hobby front, I've just been working in short bursts and have neglected to take photo's and post about it. Sorry about that!
Now, what have I been up to?  Read on below...



I've taken possession of my own box of Imperial Knight: Renegade. But, due to the magnets I ordered to build them being lost in the Warp/mail, that project has been necessarily pushed back. The long term plan is to build my own Knight Household. You see, I've always loved Imperial Knights, ever since their first mention in the 40K background. My plan is to ignore the modern, very structured and regimented heraldry devised by Games Workshop and lean more towards the historical (both real-world and 40k fiction) Knights, with each bearing their own heraldry on their tilting shield, etc. The delay, while frustrating, will give me more time to work out exact heraldry and colour scheme, as well as background, so it's not a total loss.

To fill the time, and get out of my "it's got to be perfect" mindset, as well as give myself a workout with the airbrush, I attempted to try speedbuilding / -painting an army. This would also (hopefully) give me two functional armies so I could introduce people to the game (like my son). So I built a 2000 point list of Word Bearers. I have most of an army of these in boxes, for years and decided that "finished but imperfect" is preferable to "perfect, but never finished". I built divided the list in two (roughly) equal parts with the intent to completely build one part, paint it and only then start the second part. I have the first 20 models ready for primer (with another 20 plus a vehicle/monster or 2 to go before the first 1000 pts segment is complete). But by then it was time to go on vacaction.
Which is where I have been the last week and a half...

Now I couldn't take my airbrush gear with me on vacation... (Well, to be honest I could but I don't think the other guests at the camping site would appreciate the racket a compressor makes. Plus the cost in Spousal Approval Rating would be way too high!) But, as is tradition by now, I did take my painting gear with me, along with a neglected project or two, that I could give some attention on the rest days, between day trips.
I took the last remnants of my Dark Imperium Plague Marines and my unfinished Goliath gang.
To my surprise the Plague Marines didn't leave their case the whole vacation. Apparently my Muse had taken a shine to the Goliaths.
So, I present to you my Slag Barons (If you've read through the wall of text up to this point: congratulations, this is where the pictures start!):

 The Gang leadership: "Shredder"Jonns, the gang leader: "Maximus Beefcake" and Rogi "the Riveter".

 The Slag Barons' rank and file: "Gunner" Bran, "The Gimp" and "Growler" Lugos

 The gangs upcoming talents: Juves "Shivs"and "Eager".
In the Slag Barons, you don't get a name until you've earned it. Once the gang leader deems you've proven yourself, you get your own name back, together with a nickname bestowed by the gang. Until that time, you get a temporary name, often a descriptive or mocking one.
I have one or two more gangers than I need for a starting gang, but that way I have some room to expand during a campaign.

I also had a bit of light reading with me:
No immediate plans for gaming it, but I like cyberpunk, and with Cyberpunk 2077 getting more spotlight, I thought I might as well get some familiarity with the source material. I haven't read it completely yet, but so far it is delightfully retro(-in-hindsight) and entertainingly cynical and stylish, as cyberpunk should be.

So, a fruitful vacation!


As apparently Necromunda, and otherwise dark urban future,  was on the menu again, once back home, I set up the airbrush booth and decided to continue on my second piece of Necromunda scenery. I built it last year, and it has languished in bare primer for far too long. It's not finished, but the first passes have been done on it:

 I've just painted the concrete sections and the rust base layer for the metal parts (next steps are chipping medium and the paint to be chipped on top of that), but so far I like the look of "Tetanus Bridge" (tentative title, as not all the rust will be visible in the final version). The stairs lying separate for now will be used to connect the two platforms. The loose pieces of railing are magnetized, to enable some variation in the look of the terrain piece, as well as flexibility for walkway placement.

I've also taken a look at the Sector Mechanicus terrain in the Imperial Knight: Renegade box, with an eye to integrating it into the Necromunda terrain. This is the tentative assembly plan (just plugged together for now):

The plan is to give the walkway sections some extra stability by adding "hanging" cables/pipes to some ends as extra legs and putting extended bases (hopefully without adding height) on the pillars. I'm still pondering the specifics of it.
Oh, and I ordered two sets of Multiverse Gaming's Vault Builder Kiloton sets, for Necromunda 2D and other skirmish games (Kill Team for example?). So there's that to look forward to.

See you next time!

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten