dinsdag 22 oktober 2013

Zombtober, three and a half.

Not really a zombie or survivor, as stated in the zombtober challenge, but still related to my greater Zombtober effort.
I've decided to cap off Zombtober with a Zombie survival game on Halloween. This means I need to prep some more stuff that has been long lingering in WIP-limbo.

So I present to you:
The most well-lit street this side of the Zombpocalypse!
Oh, and a portolet....

The streetlights are from Fenris Games (the portolet too, I think, it's been a while since I bought it). They require some bending and assembly, but give a rather nice finish.
I've painted them with a mix of grey (Vallejo London Grey, I think) and Vallejo Metallic medium, followed by a GW Badab Black wash. This gives them a nice dull, corroded aluminium sheen. The lights themselves are painted with a similar mix of an off-white and Vallejo Metallic medium. Gives a good enough effect.

Naturally they aren't fixed permanently onto that single sidewalk. That'd be silly!
The thicker rim you see at the bottom of the lamppost is in fact a rare earth magnet. The sidewalk (like all sidewalks for my one-day modular city) are painted with ferrous (so called "magnetic") paint. This way, I can attach lampposts, street signs, etc. without them having big, conspicuous bases. Plus if someone nudges them during the game, they simply detach, with a minimal risk of damage or breakage!
This particular sidewalk is a quick paint test, for the greater mass of sidewalks. Just black primer, with a few blasts of white primer misted over it. The seams between the tiles and curbstones are simply painted on with dark grey paint.

In the background is my current collection of survivors. Here they are from a little closer up:
Mostly Hassslefree mini's, with a couple of old Grenadier miniatures in for variety.

Now to select which survivor or zombie to paint for zombtober's final week....

6 opmerkingen:

  1. Great idea on the magnetizing. Can you do a more detailed guide to what kind of paint you used, how many layers, when it was painted in the sequence? That kind of thing?

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  2. Sure, I'll type one up soon.
    But for now, I'll just refer you to a (waaay) earlier blogpost about them: http://modhails-meanderings.blogspot.nl/2012/01/start-of-city.html
    I believe I painted on about 3 layers.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  3. Nice idea with the metallic paint and the magents on the terrain. Where is the guy in the middle with the scroll and mauser from?

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  4. That's Prof. Witchheimer from Lead Adventure:
    http://www.lead-adventure.com/index.php?cPath=21&osCsid=51e1c25e4d2c7d6901d6a732f868978d

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  5. They all look rather splendid and genius idea with the magnets.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  6. I am very impressed with these lamps. Nothing makes a modern world gaming table look more finished than a load of street lamps.
    Your idea with the magnets is simply too good: I am going to have to steal it!

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen